“Had enough of Turkey…..No, No, No….. Got any Cranberries in the freezer or Cranberry sauce left?…..Then try this Low fat Turkey Mince Plait seasoned with mixed herbs with a Boozy Port infused Cranberry & Orange filling wrapped in Puff Pastry…..so simple, but extremely tasty…..Go on make this for a real tasty lunch”
Serves 6-8 (Depending on portion size)
Ingredients for Plait
- l packet of Puff Pastry
- 500g Lean Turkey Mince (I used less than 2% fat mince)
- 1 standard slice of bread (white or brown) made in breadcrumbs
- 4-5 tsps dried mixed herbs
- ground black pepper
- 4-5 tbsp Cranberry sauce (or my Homemade Cranberry, Orange & Port Sauce)
- 1 egg, whisked for glazing
Ingredients for Cranberry, Orange & Port Sauce
- 200g cranberries
- 2 clementines
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 6 tbsp port
Method for the Sauce
- Squeeze one of the clementines & put the juice in a pan with the cranberries, sugar & port.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the cranberries start to soften & burst.
- Tear the other clementine into segments & cut into small pieces (remove any membrane if need be).
- Place in the pan with the cranberries for about 2 mins or until the sauce has thickened.
- This sauce will store in the fridge or you can freeze for up to 2 months.
Method for Plait
- Pre-heat oven to 200c
- In a large bowl put the mince, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs & a good sprinkle of ground black pepper & mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Leave the pastry on the baking paper which it is rolled in & once unrolled cut pastry sheet to 25 cm x 30 cm and put onto the baking tray.
- Place half the mince in the centre & form a thin brick leaving about a 3 cm gap at each end, then spread the 4 -5 tbsp of cranberry sauce on the top and level off, then do the same with the other half of mince (so it resembles a sandwich).
- Cut strips on either side measuring roughly 1.5 cm at an angle, then trim the two ends to form flaps’
- Fold one end flap over the mince, then fold over the strips in alternate layers to form a plait….not forgetting to moisten the tips with water to seal.
- Tuck the other end flap in, brush the whole plait with the whisked egg.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 35-45 minutes until the pastry is golden and the mince is cooked.
“Delicious served warm with baked beans or cold with a salad of your choice, or just sliced up at any gathering of family/friends. An excellent buffet finger food….so go on make & share!”