“I for one, don’t like wasting food…What about you….Can you bear to just dispose of it in your bin? I hope the answer is NO! We work so hard for our money so why throw out vegetables which are looking a little sorry for themselves…..just make one of my simple, no messing SOUPS!”
Serves 4 – 6
- l large pan with a lid or a large Casserole pan with a lid.
- 2 Vegetable Stock Cubes or use your own Vegetable Stock which could be the water which you have cooked or steamed your vegetables in.
- 750ml hot water (only if you are using stock cubes, if you are using stock from cooking vegetables which you have saved, just make to 750ml)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic – crushed
- 2 medium or 1 large Onion chopped (Red or White – I always use Red Onions)
- 1 450g tin of chopped tomatoes (I always use the juice from the chopped tomatoes when making up the stock).
- 400g Sweet Potatoes – chopped into small pieces
- 100g White Potatoes – chopped into small pieces
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- A sprinkling of mixed herbs
Method for making the Soup
- Heat up the oil in the pan until the oil is hot, then put the onion & garlic in to soften for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Whilst the onions & garlic are softening make your stock up.
- Once the onions & garlic have softened, then put all the other ingredients into your pan (chopped potatoes & the tin of chopped tomatoes giving them a good stir to mix in with the onions & garlic).
- Cook for about 5 minutes on a medium heat giving a occasional stir, then pour in the stock, add your salt & pepper, mixed herbs.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 mins until the vegetables soften, during this time, remember to give the mix an occasional stir.
- Take the pan off the heat & then either use a Hand Blender or a Jug Blender & blend to your liking.
- Serve with some croutons, toast or warm bread.