“Orange & Lemon curd make this all in one tray bake so zesty & full of flavour……plus a lovely way to decorate these bite-sized pieces to give them even more flavour!”
- 175g Butter (softened)
- 175g Caster sugar
- 175g Self-raising flour
- Finely zested rind & juice from half of a large orange or if you want to use lemon instead then zest & juice from one whole lemon
- 3 medium eggs
For the topping
- 3-4 level tbsp Orange curd or Lemon curd (I use 2 of each)
- 250g Icing sugar
- Disposable piping bag
- Pre heat the oven to 180c
- Line a 26 x 16.5cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl beat all the ingredients together until smooth even by hand or with an electric mixer/or hand held electric whisk.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and level the surface.
- Bake the cake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until it has risen & is pale in colour, and just springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from the oven & leave to cool in the baking tin for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, spoon the lemon & orange curd into the piping bag & cut off the end of the bag to make a small hole.
- Tip the icing sugar into a large bowl & stir in enough water to give it a soft consistency (don’t put to much water in or else it will be too runny & just run of the top of the cake). Working quickly spread the icing over the top of the cake & then pipe parallel lines of lemon & orange curd widthways across the top of the cake, about 2cm apart.
- To get the zig-zag effect, drag the tip of a cocktail stick or the point of a knife across the lines lengthways across, but ensure you work quickly before the icing sets.
- Leave the icing to set and then trim the edges of the cake, before cutting into 16 bite-sized pieces.
“So now sit back…..enjoy with a cuppa…which you so deserve, because it hard work eating cake….isn’t it?”