“If you want to have a little bit of what you fancy & are trying to shed a few pounds, but still want a slice of cake…. then try this super moist star of a cake made with Sunflower Oil with a zesty taste of orange”
Serves 10 – 12 (Depending on portion size)!
- 3 medium carrots (about 250g in unpeeled weight)
- 3 large eggs
- 100ml Sunflower oil (plus extra for greasing)
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 100g Sultanas
- finely grated zest of 1/2 large orange (well scrubbed)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- finely pared or grated zest of 1/2 Orange (well scrubbed)
- Juice from half of a orange
- Preheat the oven to 190C & grease and line a 23cm round loosed-based cake tin with a little oil, line the base with baking parchment. Peel the carrots & grate them, which should leave you with about 200g of grated carrot.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl with a metal whisk until well combined, stir in grated carrot, the add flour, sultanas, orange zest, spices & baking powder & stir until just combined. Pour into cake tin & smooth the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 mins until risen & springy to the touch & shrinking from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 mins and then turn out on to a wire rack, remove baking parchment, whilst still warm make some small holes in the top of the cake & carefully pour some of the juice into the them, then transfer when cool to serving plate.
- Sift the icing sugar over the cake & scatter the grated vest on the top.
“Sit back, relax with a slice & a brew of your choice – enjoy!”
“It is also delicious served warm with Cream, Ice Cream or Custard.”