“Courgettes are so versatile & go into so many dishes…..who would have thought you would put them in cakes? So last year I made my first cake with Courgettes due to a colleague passing on some home grown ones….& saying go on make something with these!”
Serves 10 – 12
- 200g grated courgette
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps lemon zest
- Pre heat oven to 160c/Gas mark 3
- Grease a 500g loaf tin & line the length of the base with baking parchment.
- In one bowl, beat together the courgette, caster sugar, egg & oil until all ingredients have blended together.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda & baking powder, stir in the cinnamon & lemon zest.
- Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture just until all ingredients have blended together.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin & bake for 45 minutes until a skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes & then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
“Well here it is…..& what a super easy loaf this is to make, plus the lemon enhances the flavour to give this cake a zingy taste!”