“So do you like Gin?……If you do then these are a must for you Gin & Orange Cupcakes…..Gin infused sponge….with a hint of Orange…..topped with a Gin & Orange Buttercream…you may ask can you taste the Gin? Yes definitely, not only taste you can smell it…..so go on bake, make,& share these!”
Ingredients for the Cakes
- 175g unsalted butter – softened
- 165g golden caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp tonic water
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp Gordan’s Gin (or one of your choice or what you may have in already)
For the icing
- 250g unsalted butter – softened
- 500g icing sugar
- Juice of half a large orange
- 4 tbsp Gordan’s Gin (or one of your choice or what you may have in already)
- Zest of half a large orange
- half of large orange thinly sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 170 C & line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cases.
- Place butter & sugar in a bowl & beat together until light & creamy making sure you use a spatula to clear down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking in & making sure each one is fully combined before adding the next one.
- Sift in the flour & fold into the mixture, but don’t over stir.
- Stir in the tonic & orange juice.
- Divide the mixture into the 12 cases (being carefully not to overfill).
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 20 minutes, until they are golden & a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin & place on a cooling rack & whilst they are still hot, pierce the top of each cake about 6 times and brush as much of the gin into the tops (using it all up of course….you can see that I like Gin)!!!
Method for the icing
- Soften the butter with a whisk.
- Add the icing sugar & whisk until combined.
- Add the juice from the half of the large orange into the icing & add the Gin.
- Whisk again until combined & the icing is soft & fluffy.
- Decorate your cakes with the icing (I used two toned piping Orange & Cream) & then added a quarter slice of orange & then added some orange zest.
” These truly are a delicious treat, so bake, make & share….. & enjoy with a cup of afternoon tea or a lovely Gin & Orange……….If I must!”