“Chocolate Lovers everywhere will love this cake….topped with the Chocolates of your choice & surrounded with even more Chocolate…..this surely is a cake to celebrate any special occasion for the young & old!”
Ingredients for Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 225g Caster sugar
- 225g Plain flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 225g Baking spread, margarine or butter
Ingredients for Decorating Top & Sides of Cake
- 225g Butter
- 450g Icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Strawberry Jam (or one of your choice, it doesn’t really matter)
- 3 packets of 8 x 2 Kit-Kats (I used the Toffee Treat – I always tend to get 4 packs just in case any break when you are separating them into single sticks)
- Your choice of chocolates etc for the top (any left over you can always hide for a treat for yourself, after all the hard work spent making the cake)!
- Chocolate spread – a small amount (helps with sticking the Kit Kats to the side of the cake)
- Ribbon/Candles optional
Method for Sponge Cake
- Pre heat the oven to 180c
- Grease 2 x 20cm sandwich tins thoroughly & line the base with baking parchment.
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together using an electric whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide mixture between the 2 tins and ensure that they are level.
- Place in the oven for 15-25 minutes until they are golden brown and spring back on touch.
- Cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack & leave to cool completely, whilst the sponges are cooling prepare your buttercream.
Method for Decorating Top & Sides of Cake
- Put butter & icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat together (I use an electric mixer for this but you can do this by hand)
- Once the butter & icing sugar have thoroughly been beaten together you should have a lovely creamy buttercream which is soft enough to pipe or spread onto the sponges.
- Place the jam onto one of the sponges & spread evenly & then on the other sponge spread this with a thin layer of your buttercream & then sandwich the sponges together.
- Then place the cake on a 23 cm board (10 in) & you are then ready to spread the rest of the buttercream around the top & sides of your cake making it as smooth & level as possible (A Cake Turntable helps this job immensely).
- Break KitKats & apply a small amount of the chocolate spread to the back of the KitKat finger & gently press them lightly against the sides of the cake until you are happy that they will stay in place.
- Then you can decorate the top of your cake with your choice of design & chocolates etc.
“This is a cake which you can have so much fun with, & use so may different variations of sponges from plain to chocolate……Chocolate fingers, Snickers, Mars bars can all be used around the sides…..but Guys…..”The World Is Your Oyster” for decorating the top!”
” A selection of some of my Celebration Cakes”