“Cadburys, Cadburys & even more Cadburys….this cake is 3 layers of soft plain sponge filled & covered with Cadburys Dairy Milk Buttercream, definitely a cake for a true Chocoholic!”
Serves 12 – 18 (depending on portion sizes)
Ingredients for the 3 layers of cake
- 6 large eggs
- 337.5g Caster Sugar
- 337.5g Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 337.5g Baking spread, margarine or butter
Ingredients for Decorating Top & Sides plus filling between layers
- 38 Cadburys Twirls Bars
- 200g Cadburys Dairy Milk Chocolate
- 300g Butter
- 400g Icing Sugar
Method for Sponges
- Pre heat the oven to 180c
- Grease 3 x 20cm sandwich tins thoroughly & line the base with baking parchment.
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together using an electric whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide mixture between the 3 tins and ensure that they are level.
- Place in the oven for 15-25 minutes until they are golden brown and spring back on touch.
- Cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack & leave to cool completely, whilst the sponges are cooling prepare your buttercream.
Method for Decorating Top & Sides of Cake
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water).
- Leave the chocolate to cool.
- Put butter & icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat together (I use an electric mixer for this but you can do this by hand)
- Once the butter & icing sugar has thoroughly been beaten together you should have a lovely creamy buttercream at this point you can add the cooled chocolate then which should then be soft enough to pipe or spread onto the sponges.
- Place the buttercream on two of the sponges & spread evenly & then sandwich the three sponges together.
- Then place the cake on a 23 cm board (10 in) & you are then ready to spread the rest of the buttercream around the top & sides of your cake making it as smooth & level as possible (A Cake Turntable helps this job immensely).
- Place the Twirls evenly around the side of the cake & gently press them into the sides of the cake.
- I then pipe around the base of the cake using a large star nozzle & go in between the Twirls & then pipe around the top etc with the same nozzle (this is your choice of design & chocolates)